Canvas Cabins/Wall Tents: What You Need To Know
We are going to cover the pro’s and con’s of this tent system that offers some amazing featured and benefits, but also has some heavy downsides also. The wall tent has a long history and is one of the best family tents on the market today. They are also known as Canvas Cabins.
This will be a simple and fairly short write-up giving you some bullet points and a good starting point for your own personal research and maybe a couple links so that you can investigate further if you think it may be the perfect family tent for you and your family.
Benefits Of Wall Tents
- Additional space because the walls are vertical, leaving more room to stack and store
- Heavy canvas gives additional protection from weather and wild animals
- Ability to have a wood stove or a camp stove in the tent safely to cook and heat
- Great for year round use because of other benefits
- Easily add a room
- Porch fly’s are also available
- Plenty of room to stand erect in them
- Easy poll system makes the portable
- Can be semi permanent on a platform and wood frame
- Can last 20 plus years if properly stored
Cons of Wall Tents
- They are really heavy
- Not practical for hiking because of weight
- Truck or S.U.V. needed to move any distance
- Takes at least two to setup
- Additional horses needed to carry it if you are headed into the wilderness
Do not let the list of benefits fool you, the only way these are practical is if you have the proper vehicle to move them to where you are going to camp or several horses if you are headed into the wilderness. There are lighter monster tents on the market with a more modern style that you may want to look at if you are looking at wall tents as an option.
The ability to have a wood stove makes this tent great for families that enjoy winter camping and families that hunt big game. They also make a good hunting camp. There is plenty of room for cots , gear and much more so you can stay at the camp for a long time without the need to leave.
While this type of tent is not for everyone, it may be perfect for you, so give it a look and see if it the perfect fit for you and your family.
DANCHEL Cotton Bell Tent With Two Stove Jacket
This tent is 13 feet wide and 8.2 feet high at the center. It can be used year round and the walls can be taken down so you can get a good breeze. You can also purchase one that is 16 feet wide. While this tent does come with a stove jack, the material it’s made of isn’t the best for that purpose, so if you’re looking for a tent to use with a wood stove, you will want to choose another option.